Monday, April 18, 2011

so many questions

Reading more about different perspectives on teachers has been really interesting, especially after Biklin's article about teaching being a woman's profession and different issues that come with that. I found this really engaging and almost frustrating because I personally didn't look at teaching that way. One of the questions that came to mind was how teaching became just a woman's profession. I understand that it has many similarities to motherhood and nurturing but I find it frustrating that it's assumed to be a "lower" status in the career field.


This leads me to my next question: Do people know what teaching entails? Do they know what teachers do outside of the school hours?
**This really makes me want to share more with others what teaching involves. Now, I am not a teacher yet, so I guess I wouldn't fully be able to educate others on the profession of teaching, but I have a huge desire to share what I already do know. I wonder if people would think differently if they knew what teaching involved. It involves so much more than being the caregivers of their children. Also, there is so much preparation and careful consideration and attention on each child. If they knew this, and knew what teaching really involved, would they think differently? Would teachers be respected more? If the profession started out as mostly men, would it have been different? Would it be a profession that people look at in equality to big name CEO positions? There are so many questions...

No comments:

Post a Comment