Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Science Experiment Gone Wrong

So in my dyad placement, we planted Wisconsin Fast Plant Seeds about a couple weeks ago. Today as we walked into the classroom, we found the students' plants wilting and pretty much dying. What do you do???? It was quite disappointing because the class next door, that did the same science activity, had plants that were flourishing into healthy plants. It was even more disheartening because their class had started the activity a few days after our class. My question is how do you save this activity? They are supposed to be observing the plant's growth, but what happens when there is no plant to observe? If I had pictures I would post them. The difference in classes is quite amazing. I'm excited to see what my teacher will do with these.

2 comments:

  1. This is always devastating, but maybe there is a way to move on to a different part of the science unit and then come back to the fast growing plants. There could be an issue with the heat in the classroom. When I worked in the science program, teachers would have trouble because the heat would get turned off during the night. Do you have heat lamps or a way to regulate this? Sometimes these seeds are bad too, but there is no way of knowing this until you try it. I guess it's a good lesson on how things don't always work the way we want them too!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are that the focus of the lesson will change, but it will still be a great lesson. Instead of watching the plants grow, the students can figure out why the plants didn’t grow? What conditions were different in the other classroom that allowed their seeds to grow? What might they do differently next time?

    ReplyDelete