Friday, November 4, 2011

comparison bars

What a challenge. I got to teach a math lesson to these third graders. There were a few challenges though: 1. The concepts learning were completely new, 2. time restriction, 3. too many new concepts in one lesson. Overall, the students were able to understand, but I have to admit, I was a little nervous. The curriculum used was a part of Math Expressions. I definitely did not use the book word for word. I ended up using unifix cubes, which helped with understanding the how to draw comparison bars. The confusing part of the lesson was identifying the new vocabulary and understanding that the meanings of these new words were things that the students already knew.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you were finding great ways to adapt to the needs of the students.
    I think any time you introduce a new topic and new vocabulary in a lesson that is enough of a challenge right there. With the addition of time restrictions and additional concepts, you must have done a great job if they walked away understanding what you were teaching them!

    ReplyDelete