I really enjoyed last week's class discussion. I enjoyed building the community in our classroom. What brings people together? I think in any situation it is getting to know that person better. So I enjoyed discussing about that. I am one to observe before fully letting go. I think it is because I want to make sure that it is a safe environment.
One thing that was really challenging was talking about students with different learning abilities (I really like that term). As we were talking about this, I was a little intimidated and worried about how I would work with these students, especially because the topics we have talked about this quarter are so heavy. I was glad that we were able to talk about it as a cohort and come up with things that we might do.
The reason I bring this up is because I was actually able to talk to a first grade teacher the other day. She was telling me about one of her new students. She was explaining to me that this student had autism and reacted in very different ways and even began to hide under desks and not show up to the classroom. When I first heard this, I was reminded of our class discussion and of course even more worried. This teacher explained to me that at first it was really difficult but she was able to recognize patterns and begin to talk to this student the way she understood. It was definitely an encouraging to listen t how she was able to tget to know the student better and help her.
I am excited to see what we as teachers can do to build our communities in the classroom. It's comforting to know that there are so many resources and blogs from other teachers. I can see that there is a bigger community than once thought. :)
I appreciate reading your posts in part because of the way it is a window into your thinking. I hear you reflecting here about how you tend to be a learner who observes-- or I might also say uses active listening-- to participate. And that a safe environment is important to you. This is an area of research I think a lot about (for me, it tends to be specific to the mathematics classroom). Through reading and research, I've come to learn there are important parts of a students experience learning through talking about his/her ideas. Important in the way it shapes and forms your ideas. And important in the ways your classmates get to hear and learn from your good ideas. There is a connection between learning and sharing. This challenges me-- because, like you, I tend to be an active listener. So, it challenges me to share. When I think back to the night you co-facilitated, I remember the thrill of hearing your ideas and seeing you lead your cohort in learning. As you come to know your community through this program, I encourage you to continue seeing yourself and let others see you in that way over time. The burden for sharing is not all on you, though. Within courses, it is also my job, as your teacher, to establish a culture that creates this safety for you. I'll remember this when we get to study math methods together!
ReplyDelete