Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Food Journal Reflection


Keeping a food journal was a hard task. It was hard to do because I was not used to keeping track of what I eat. It was a little hard to remember to write everything that I ate because I had never done this before. I also realized that I usually just eat without thinking. It was very interesting to see what kinds of foods I really eat. Overall, this activity was a good way to see what goes into my mouth and body.

One of the first things that I noticed was that I do not eat consistently. There are days when I eat a lot of food and other days where I eat mini meals. Reflection? I needed to eat healthier and more consistently. The benefit of this activity was that it motivated me to eat healthier. At first, it was a little depressing and I saw that I pretty much eat whatever and whenever I am hungry. There was absolutely no consistency.

My major goal was to drink a lot more water. I did make this goal (at least somewhat). I did make a conscious effort to drink more water. In doing this, I did feel healthier. Also, by drinking more water, I felt like my insides were being cleansed. I am really learning that water is very beneficial for your health.

I am learning that I am very inconsistent with keeping my body healthy. I came to this conclusion because my activity journal was similar to my food journal: inconsistent. There were days that I went on hikes and walked around Greenlake, but it wasn't very consistent. I am wondering if I should make an intentional effort to be more active.

Food journaling and activity journaling can definitely be a benefit for your health. It really helps you see what you eat and what your body is consuming. It can be a wake-up call and motivator in keeping your body healthy.

This would be a great tool in teaching kids about healthy eating. This activity can potentially help a student connect what he or she is learning in class to his or her own personal life. As we all know, ideas and learned skills and facts tend to be more permanent when one is able to apply the knowledge to their own lives. It encourages the student to watch what they are feeding their body. When looking back on the things that I ate throughout these weeks, I see all the different types of foods I eat and how often I eat them. It really puts my personal health into perspective, which is something that would be a great learning outcome. I also think that it is good to look back on to see what you have improved in or if you met any of your goals. It helps us to see the benefit of why we learn about nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment