I don't want to be a teacher that fosters false growth mindset!
This article was interesting because I think that a lot of times as educators, we think we may be saying or doing the right thing but we don't realize that it may not be helping at all. I think that if we were more intentional about growth mindset, we could do a lot more in helping our students.
Giving Praises just because... it sounds nice?
I am definitely seeing the downfall of giving praises on just their effort. I see that there needs to be more intention behind our praises. Complimenting and encouraging students on their effort isn't necessarily a bad thing but if that is all that we are doing, we are not actually helping them grow further. I think that there is a better chance for them to stay stagnant in where they are if we are not giving students honest feedback and providing them with tools to continue to do better. I agree with Dweck when she says that teachers can "acknowledge laudable effort, but they also need to acknowledge when students are not learning effectively then work with them to find new learning strategies" (2). Again, it is more important to be intentional in student learning growth than giving them praises and encouragement with no meaning behind it.
This article reminds me to be intentional in my words to foster true growth mindset. It may take more time and effort, but in the end, it will benefit the students that we are working with.
No comments:
Post a Comment