Goal: Students will learn how to safely navigate the internet. They will learn 3 basic rules.
1. Ask a parent first
2. Only talk to people you know
3. Stick to places just right for you
Question: How do I stay safe on the internet? Why do I need to be safe when going on a computer with internet access?
1. Discussion: Discuss with students why being safe on the internet is important. Discuss student thoughts and write them down on the board.
2. Show Digital Citizenship video about using the internet.
3. Discuss the three rules of going on the internet and do a hands on activity. The video talks about "walking" through the internet safely, just like when we cross the street. As we discuss this, students would have to decide if a certain example feels safe, "ify'" or dangerous.
Green=Safe
Yellow="ify"
Red=Dangerous
Here are some examples of pictures that could be used for this activity:
There would be other examples and scenarios that would be discussed as a class. I think that this would be a fun way for younger students to learn how and why we need to use caution as we surf the internet.




I like that you are using 3 clear and simple questions. While this lesson is for pre-k, I think the 3 rules/questions could be modified and used at any grade level.
ReplyDelete