Thursday, April 6, 2017

Furniture is becoming Comfy by James Vaznis

I love using alternate seating in our classroom! In my classroom we have kid-size exercise balls that students sit on in place of regular chairs. We actually have half chairs and half exercise balls in which we alternate everyday. I have found that this has improved focus in some of our students. I understand when one of the educators in the article said that seeing "her 7-8 year old students bouncing up and down and wobbling around during the day's lessons took some getting used to" (Vaznis). I also felt the same way, then realized that a little bounce is okay if it allows students to focus a little better when learning.

The students are much used to it now and we've seen a lot of benefit from this sort of seating. With a little bit of movement, they are able to stay focused on their tasks. The balls allow them to do this without being too distracting.

here is a link to the exercise balls that we have in the classroom!


1 comment:

  1. I also love to use alternative furniture. I teach a reading class, and my interest is to get my students to love reading. If making them comfortable helps, then why not. I have beanie bag chairs, and a a bouncy chair. I implement rugs and all sorts of way to help kids feel comfortable. I think we make education to strict. I think learning should be fun, and anywhere that I can bring that back in, I try... I'm glad you do to.

    ReplyDelete